Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Second Doctor's Appt. - 12/29/11

My second doctor’s appointment was scheduled for Thursday, December 29th at 9am. My doctor had scheduled a follow up ultrasound to check on the healthy baby and also see if I still had a bleed. I was really excited, because Barrett was able to come to this appointment with me!

We waited in the waiting room for a little while and then it was time for the ultrasound. I hadn’t really been nervous about the appointment, but right before we went back I started getting pretty nervous. I just wanted everything to be ok with our little one.

Once we were situated in the ultrasound room it was time to see our little one. I thought it was really neat because our ultrasound tech was pregnant. Anyway, she immediately found the little one! After a couple seconds she looked at me and Barrett and said, “Y’all knew you were having twins right?” My mind immediately interpreted her question the wrong way and I know I had a weird look on my face. I looked at Barrett and back at her and then told her that we knew there had been two but we had lost one. She shook her head and said, “I’m so sorry”. I don’t think she realized how she had worded her question, but when Barrett and I talked about it later we both had interpreted the question to mean there were two and we were again having twins. There was a moment where we both were stunned! I guess that was the hardest part of this second appointment. I was really thinking my body would have “taken care” of the one that didn’t make it and I wouldn’t see it again on the ultrasound, but I was wrong. It really was ok, just gave me more of a reason to believe God wanted us to know there had been two blessings at one time!

The tech went ahead and took measurements of the failed embryo and the entire time she apologized. I had to keep telling her that it was ok, we had had time to process and grieve, and we were at peace with it all. I think it was hard for her simply because she was pregnant and she also shared with us she had had a miscarriage before this pregnancy. I appreciated her apologetic attitude and sensitivity (minus the wording of the first question)!

Then we were able to spend some time looking at and examining our little one! The heartbeat measured 160 and it was the coolest experience to hear the heartbeat this time! Barrett immediately said, “That is so cool!”---and it really was! It was incredible to see how much growth had taken place during the two weeks since the last ultrasound. She also talked to us about our due date. I originally thought our due date would be 8/10/12, but based on the measurements of the baby, she moved my due date up three days. Our little one’s new due date is 8/7/12! Again, I appreciated how much time the tech spent explaining where everything was. She even wrote a few main body parts on our pictures so we would be able to decipher what was what. She told us that by this point the baby could move and sometimes they can pick it up “jumping”. She said that sometimes when she measures the heartbeat is when they jump. She measured the heartbeat again (this time 160) but we weren’t able to see it move. I appreciated her spending that much time with us and she really was very friendly! We were able to get three pictures of our little one!




After our ultrasound we were able to talk with my doctor. She did the quick genetic screen questionnaire – talking about family health history. Then she talked to us about the ultrasound. She said that everything looked great with the baby, but I was still showing a bleed at the bottom of the healthy baby’s “sack”. She said that it wasn’t anything to be too worried about, but told me to take it easy for the next 3 weeks and she wanted to see me again for a follow up appointment. I was a little disappointed that I still wasn’t 100% in the clear – I know during the early part of pregnancy you are never really in the clear, but it is still a little unnerving.

Before we left the doctor’s office I had some lab work done and scheduled my next appointment for Monday, January 23rd.

Barrett was such a trooper for this appointment. I know the only “fun” part for him was the ultrasound, and that was done within the first 30 minutes of the appointment. We were at the doctor’s office almost 2 hours due to waiting and going through the different “stations” as I like to call them. His back had also been bothering so having to sit in between the “stations” wasn’t comfortable for him. I’m thankful he was there to support me!

Anyway, everything seems to be looking good. I am again excited for the next appointment to see how much more this little one has grown, and I’m hoping I can finally be on track for a “normal” healthy pregnancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment