Sunday, January 29, 2012

3rd Doctor's Appt - January 23

On Monday, January 23, I had my third doctor’s appointment. Being honest, I think I was most excited about this appointment. I was excited to see the little one on the ultrasound again and excited he/she would look more like a baby this time. I also really had a good feeling everything was going to check out ok and after this appointment I would be treated like a normal pregnancy. I had such good feelings about the appointment (and since it was in the middle of the day) I told Barrett he didn’t need to take off work to come with me.


I arrived at the doctor and immediately needed to use the restroom. On all my other appointments as soon as you are called back, you have to provide a urine sample, so I waited in the waiting room hoping I would be called soon. I had to go! The longer I waited the more I was concentrating…it was getting pretty uncomfortable! Anyway, finally a lady came and called me back and I immediately recognized she was the ultrasound tech who performed my very first ultrasound. She led me into the ultrasound room and immediately started talking to me about the ultrasound. She said we would be doing a regular ultrasound today since the baby was bigger. The entire time I was thinking, “This should be fun…any pressure on my belly and I might wet my pants”. She went ahead and prepped me for the ultrasound. She found the baby pretty quick and immediately started laughing. The screen showed our little one head down and moving arms and legs everywhere! She kept saying, “This one is head down, I can’t see anything I need to see.” Then she told me she could tell I had a very full bladder (I could have told her that!!!). The baby kept wiggling and flailing its arms and legs but its back was to us, and we really couldn’t see anything! She told me she was going to adjust the exam table I was laying on to try and get gravity to work in our favor and make the baby move positions and hopefully would no longer be head down. When that didn’t work she told me it would probably be better to empty my bladder (whew – music to my ears).

After I finished in the restroom she prepped me again, and we started looking for the little one. Immediately we saw the baby had moved into a much more comfortable position! There was our little one – profile and all! He/she wasn’t moving anymore but looked just to be relaxing. The ultrasound tech started pointing things out to me and said she thought everything looked really good. The heart rate was 164! She said since our baby had a nasal bone that was evident and she didn’t see any fluid behind the head that we would not have had a positive Down’s test if we had opted to have the test. Barrett and I decided to not have the detailed test, but I appreciated her telling me some of the things they look for and saying our little one looked good. Here are a couple pictures!



I went ahead and decided to ask her when their office schedules the anatomy scan to find out what sex the baby is.  I knew that you can have the scan anywhere from 16-22 weeks.  She continued looking at the screen and told me that their office does the scan around 19-20 weeks.  Then she asked if we were planning on finding out what we were having.  Now, for those of you who know me, you understand my obsession with planning ahead.  I have been ready to know what this baby is from day 1.  The tech surprised me and said, “Do you want to find out what you are having today?”  I looked at her with disbelief and then told her I would love to find out today.  I was again disappointed B wasn’t there with me, but the planner in me took over!  The tech told me, “It’s a boy!”  She then went on to say that she can’t tell little girls this early, but there was obviously something sticking up and she had no doubt it was a boy.  Now, I’m going to be perfectly honest…if you have been reading my weekly posts you know that I was starting to feel like it was a girl and everyone else also had the same feeling.  I also realize that at 12 weeks this news isn’t always accurate.  I know too many stories recently of people being told one sex and then the baby ended up being the other a few weeks later.  However, the ultrasound tech was so certain, she decided to write on the remaining pictures she printed that it was a boy! Check these pictures out and see what you think.  I guess only time will tell if we truly have a little boy on our hands or a little girl! 





This is a "bottom shot view".  


After leaving the ultrasound room I had to sit in another waiting room and wait for my doctor. I used the time to call B and my mom. B was literally giddy with the news. I am still having to remind him that he doesn’t need to get his hopes up about it being a boy since it is too early, but I think it is already too late! He is beside himself excited!


When it was time to see the doctor, she confirmed my feelings! She said everything looked great with the baby and with me. She also said the bleed was gone and there was no need to monitor me closely anymore. I was so excited! She released me for exercise and scheduled my next appointment for Friday, February 17th. Then she asked me if the tech had told me she saw something on the screen making her believe it was a boy. I told her yes, and she immediately told me to not go painting a nursery blue just yet. But, she did say this was her most experienced ultrasound tech, so we will just see!

After meeting with the doctor I met with the business office manager to go over my insurance/benefits. We also went over my hospital admission paperwork for me to turn in to the hospital where I will be delivering. I can’t believe I already need to be doing those things! After my meeting I am so very thankful for the maternity benefits I have through my health insurance at work. After meeting my deductible I am covered at 100% and my deductible is VERY reasonable.

My doctor’s appointment went great. I really like my doctor and the clinic’s practice. I can’t wait for my next appointment and especially can’t wait to find out in March for sure if we are having a boy or girl!



1 comment: