Sunday, July 29, 2012

13th Doctor's Appt. - 38 Weeks

13th Doctor’s Appointment – 38 weeks

On Thursday, July 26, I had my 38 week doctor’s appointment.  Since my Braxton Hick’s contractions had picked up throughout the week I was anxious to see if I had progressed any and was getting closer to having this baby! 

My weight continues to confuse me a bit.  I had actually lost 3 pounds this week compared to my last appointment, but there are several things that might have contributed to the loss.  One – I was being weighed at a different location of my doctor’s office, so it was  a different scale. Two- my appointment was first thing in the morning, so I hadn’t had lunch and the day to drink on water like the last appointment. 

I am never good at remembering my blood pressure, but it has been in the good to normal range.  Lennox’s heart rate was 135.  The doctor came in and took the measurement of my belly, and sadly, I didn’t remember to ask her what she measured!  After being measured she checked me and told me she could feel the baby’s head, I was 1cm dilated and thinned out more since my last appointment.  I was pretty excited that my body slowly but surely was doing what it was suppose to do! 

After getting all my measurements, my doctor started talking with me about “exit strategies”.  She asked how I felt about being induced and I told her that I really didn’t want to be induced, but it would be nice for my family out of town to know when the baby would be born so they could be here for the birth.  My doctor told me that she could induce me on August 1st.  Her reasoning was that I was progressing on my own, and she is going to be out of town starting August 2nd – August 12th (the entire week of my due date).  I think I was just absolutely shocked this might be an option and hadn’t thought this would be presented to me this early.  I told her I wanted to talk with Barrett and then I would call the office and let them know what our decision would be.  I had to wait to discuss with Barrett so I called and talked to my family.  It is pretty amazing that I was so torn about the decision when it was first presented to me, because while I was talking to my family it was so clear that I needed to wait!  There really is no health benefit to going for an induction at this point for me or Lennox.  So, I go back to the doctor on Thursday, August 2nd (if Lennox doesn’t decide to come earlier).  My doctor’s appointment will be with a doctor I have seen one other time  in the office's practice that I really liked, so I am excited to in a way get a “second opinion” on my pregnancy and late pregnancy decisions.  We’ll see if we make it to my next appointment! J  

No comments:

Post a Comment