Sunday, August 30, 2009

Lewis County Fair

I could not wait to share my experience of going to Lewis County's fair (a.k.a. South Central Fair). First, I need to preface by saying, the fair I have been use to is the State Fair of Texas in Dallas. For those who are familiar with the State Fair of Texas, you know the fair goes on for several weeks and is HUGE! I knew the Lewis County fair was going to be very different from the fair I was use to, but that gave me even more reason to want to experience it! The fair here only goes for 6 days, and is located at the Hohenwald Park. Each night there is a different "event" that is the "featured event". Here is the nightly agenda for this year's fair:

  • Monday night - Beauty Pageants (including Fairest of the Fair:))
  • Tuesday night - ?? - I just know I could hear Lynard Skynard music from our front yard.
  • Wednesday night - Family Night and concert with a local band
  • Thursday night - Tractor Pull (no comment)
  • **Friday & Saturday night - Demolition Derby**

I have put **'s by Friday and Saturday because this was the night I went to the fair, so this was the event I attended. Let me first say, I have NEVER IN MY LIFE been to a Demolition Derby!!! I had no clue what the point was, but a 6 year old boy sitting near me quickly filled me in on the rules! I have never seen junkier (is that a word?) cars in all my life. For those of you who have not had the privilege of experiencing a Demolition Derby, the goal is to be the last car running or driving, and the strategy is to RAM into the other cars. To say the least, I was a nervous wreck, because I was scared someone was going to get hurt. I am sure that I don't need to give a description of the different dynamics of the crowd, but I will tell you there was an elderly couple on the front row (in their 80's) and another lady sitting around us had a baby that could not have been more than a month old!?! It was quite an experience! Here are a few pictures of the Demolition Derby:

This was a view from the top of the Ferris Wheel.

Crunch! (Please note the firemen in all the pictures)

Yep, that is smoke. I can still here the announcer saying, "There's a fir, there's a fir!" (fire)

And again! :)

I even shot a quick video! :)




I have to say, similar to the State Fair of Texas, the best part of Lewis County's fair was the food. I had chicken on a stick, a caramel apple, and tried some of Barrett's funnel cake. YUMMY!

Overall, I am glad that I went to the Lewis County Fair. I may have to make it an annual tradition!
Ha ha :)

No comments:

Post a Comment