Sunday, May 13, 2012

7th Doctor's Appointment - 27 weeks

Doctor’s Appointment 5/10/12

I had my 7th doctor’s appointment on Thursday, May 10, at 3pm.  This was my first appointment on the “every 3 week” schedule.  I went through the normal routine of checking in, giving a urine sample and weighing in with the nurse.  My weight was a pretty big surprise to me – I had actually lost a pound since my last appointment!  This makes my total weight gain for the entire pregnancy 10 pounds!  I just knew going in I had gained 3-5 pounds since my last appointment, but that wasn’t the case. 

After my weigh in it was time for my blood pressure check.  My blood pressure was almost perfect at 121/80.  After checking my blood pressure it was time to check baby’s heartbeat.  She moved the Doppler over every part of my belly and could only get my heartbeat!  Finally after a few minutes she asked if she could apply pressure to one part of my belly to try and get him to move to one side.  Finally, she found his heartbeat and it measured at 136.  I guess he was just snuggled down deep near my left hip.  She even made a comment, “Well, your baby definitely made me work today!”  I was a little nervous during the whole ordeal, but thankfully I had felt him move on the way to my appointment or it would have been a whole different story!

After the nurse left the room, I only waited a few minutes for the doctor.  After my doctor came in the room she immediately started telling me about my glucose screening test I had at my last appointment.  I knew I had passed the test, because the lab had called me and told me the day after my last appointment.  She let me know my sugars looked normal, and if anything looked to be on the low end!  That was amazing to me because I didn’t fast before the test and my usual breakfast of a bagel, cream cheese, yogurt, and carnation chocolate milk actually has quite a bit of sugar in it!  She then asked if I was having any problems and I told her everything had been fine.  She talked to me about my weight gain while she measured my belly, and told me she wasn’t concerned as long as my belly was growing.  My belly measured at 26 centimeters, which put me measuring about a week behind since I was 27 weeks along.  She told me she wasn’t concerned by this since I am consistently measuring a week behind and the baby is obviously growing. 

After she finished checked me out she asked me if I had started thinking about a pediatrician!  I knew I needed to start looking, but I guess this just made everything more real!  Needless to say, we are on the pediatrician hunt!  My doctor recommended a pediatrician group, but I would like to find one closer to our house.  Most likely, a hospital pediatrician will evaluate little man in the hospital after he is born and send the report to the pediatrician we chose near our home. 

And that was my appointment!  I scheduled my next appointment for Friday, June 1st.  I can’t believe that I will be 30 weeks next time I go back!  This pregnancy has really flown by and I am so thankful to have a healthy baby growing inside me!     

No comments:

Post a Comment