Monday, April 23, 2012

24 Week Doctor's Appointment

6th Doctor’s Appointment – April 19, 2012 

My 6th (24 week) doctor’s appointment was today!  I really cannot believe that I am already 24 weeks pregnant!  What I thought was going to be an easy/fast appointment turned out to be quite a bit longer than I expected.  I

My appointment was at 8:40 and I arrived about 5 minutes before.  They immediately had me wait in the second waiting area for the doctor.  I gave my typical urine sample and the nurse quickly took me back to the exam room.  I was really impressed with how quickly this appointment was going!  The nurse took my weight first, and as I had predicted on my 23 week blog post, I have gained a total of 11 pounds this entire pregnancy.  It is pretty obvious this little boy is growing –I gained 7 pounds since my last visit a little over 4 weeks ago!  I actually felt accomplished with my weight gain since I was a little worried after my last appointment only gaining 4 pounds. 

After my weigh in the nurse took my blood pressure (I think it was 120/74) and then it was time to hear our sweet baby boy’s heart beat!  She found the heart beat quickly!  We listened for a few seconds and then he moved!  It was too funny – she said, “wow he is active”.  She found the heart beat again lower on my belly and the heart rate was 145!  I could tell by where she had the Doppler positioned that he was pretty low.  I have been thinking that he was positioned low due to his movements and me having to go to the bathroom all the time, and her Doppler position confirmed my suspicions.  After getting the heart rate the nurse told me the doctor would be with me shortly. 

I waited…and I waited…and I waited.  I waited over 30 minutes in the exam room and then my doctor appeared!  Apparently there had been a couple “patient emergencies” she needed to take care of –no big deal.  My doctor asked if I had any discomfort because there had been a small amount of white blood cells in my urine.   I haven’t been having any discomfort and I really accredit this to trying to limit my water intake at night so I don’t have to use the restroom 5 times a night! She didn’t seem concerned and just told me to call the office if I started experiencing discomfort. 

Then it was time for the belly measuring!  She measured my belly and I was 23cm.  My doctor explained that the number of weeks I am pregnant should be equal to the cm.  So, I am actually measuring a week behind.  Again, this was not a concern and within the normal range.  I actually would rather measure on the small end than the larger end!!!

After measuring me the doctor mentioned the glucose test that they do at this appointment or the next appointment.  She asked me if I wanted to go ahead and get it done today.  My first concern was that I had already had a pretty big breakfast and I wasn’t sure if you should fast before the test, but she told me that wouldn’t be a problem.  I went ahead and told her I wanted to do the test today.  Basically the test consisted of me drinking a very sugary orange drink (blah) in 5 minutes, then waiting for an hour before getting my blood drawn.  I really should have told the doctor I would wait for the test until my next appointment because I was going to be sitting in the waiting room for another hour and I had already been in the office for an hour!  After my hour was up the lab tech drew my blood and told me they would have the results to me by tomorrow.  Overall it was an easy appointment full of good news, but the waiting was a little annoying.  I guess it was my own fault –I should have just waited for the glucose test at my next appointment, but I like to get things done and out of the way. 

I can’t believe I have reached another milestone in my pregnancy – now instead of waiting to go to the doctor every 4 weeks I see her every 3 weeks!  My next appointment is Thursday, May 10th. 

 I really can’t believe how fast this is all going by, but I am so thankful for the blessing of a healthy little one growing inside of me.  Although I may complain about my growing belly and the changes taking place in my body, I know it will all be worth it in the end!  Thank you Lord for your blessings!     


No comments:

Post a Comment