Sunday, February 13, 2011

Getting Healthy

I really haven't had much to blog about lately. We have had a few snows here in the past several weeks, but I didn't do a great job of taking pictures. Barrett and I have mostly been working and also working on our fitness! We were needing some motivation to get started eating healthy and running again. Our motivation came when mom and dad planned a cruise vacation for our family to go on in the spring! You talk about motivation!!! We cannot wait to go on the cruise and we want to be looking good in our swim suits! ;)
You may remember me talking about the Couch to 5K program back at this blog post. While I really loved this training program, I really wanted to do more cardio than 30 minutes three times a week. Since I enjoyed the 5K program I started researching the Couch to 10K program. Then I found the app on my iPhone! I LOVE IT!!!
This app tracks your workout, you can listen to your music and it tells you when to jog/walk during your workouts. You can even post to facebook when you finish a workout!
Here is what the display looks like on your phone!
Barrett and I just started the week 4 workout today. It is definitely more cardio, and we can feel our endurance improving. Today we did jogging/walking intervals for 62 minutes and covered over 4 miles. Whew, it was quite the work out!
Another thing we have been doing is watching our calories. While I don't have a lot of weight to lose, I want to eat healthier. Another app I came across on my phone has definitely made calorie counting easy! The app is called "Lose It" and it is a free app on the iPhone.
Not only does it have a database of restaurant and supermarket foods for calories, it will also determine how many calories you burn during exercise. It is such a great app!

Finally, we have been getting in the weight room at least twice a week. I am mainly sticking with one workout focusing on legs and the other on arms. I have been proud of us for sticking with our program for 4 weeks! We have already seen changes. Barrett has lost 11 pounds and I lost 5. I'll try to update the blog as we continue to see progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment